If Women Ran the World, Sh*t Would Get Done now a Spirited Woman Top 12 Holiday Book Pick!



Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I'm Glad I'm Me: An Interview with Sheila Aron

Sheila Aron is a native Houston, Texan. In 2008 her children's book, I'm Glad I'm Me: Weaving the Thread of Love From Generation to Generation, was published and it will soon be available in Spanish. Sheila is also on the art committee with the Holocaust Museum Houston and was on the board of The Center for Hearing and Speech for six years.

Sheila’s most recent endeavor is a 501(3) (c) called The Thread Alliance. Its mission is to weave the thread of love and end the cycle of child abuse by bringing child abuse awareness to the forefront in hopes of preventing it before it happens.

I was really excited to learn more about Sheila's book, and the great work she is doing to help children!

Shelly Rachanow: Tell us more about your book, I’m Glad I’m Me.

Sheila Aron: I’m Glad I’m Me is a parenting book disguised as a children’s book. It teaches parents and children together how easy it is to say “I love you” and how to express their heartfelt feelings. I began writing this book as a way to help parents, children and grandparents make connections through trust, acceptance and respect. Knowing that every child deserves to be loved and every parent wants to be the very best parent they can for their child, I wanted to create a book that would allow both needs to be met. I feel that I have done this in I’m Glad I’m Me by showing how easy it is to tell your child “I love you” from the time a child wakes up in the morning until he goes to sleep at night. There are so many opportunities that a parent can say “I love you” and my book gives a few examples and shows how simple it is and how often it can be said. All anyone wants is to know that he/she is loved. It helps raise self esteem and confidence while building strong bonds that last a lifetime.

Shelly Rachanow: How does your book help parents and children communicate their love for one another?

Sheila Aron: My book shows parents and children together that love can be expressed anytime, anywhere, for any reason. For those who have never heard the words “I love you,” saying them to their own children can seem difficult or maybe even impossible. I wanted to show how easy it is to say what is in your heart in very simple words because saying “I love you” is really so easy to say and means so much to someone. I wanted it to be a win/win situation by showing that parents benefit from the book as well. When a child hears these words of love he repeats them back to his parents. What could be better than hearing “I love you, too.”

Shelly Rachanow: You often talk about the importance of “weaving the thread of love from generation to generation.” What do you mean by that and why is that so important?

Sheila Aron: The subtitle of my book is Weaving the Thread of Love From Generation to Generation. The significance of these words are emphasized by the multicolored thread that runs throughout the book weaving in and around the family members showing the importance of expressing our feelings through words of love. The “thread of love” leaves memories that last a life time and should be strong, unbreakable, never ending and passed on to future generations.

Shelly Rachanow: How can parents best remember to communicate in a loving manner in those moments when they are angry, frustrated or overwhelmed?

Sheila Aron: Life has a way of throwing us a curve on a daily basis. When situations come up that create chaos and cause us to feel out of control it helps to consider the importance of the situation at hand and ask yourself if it is really all that important. Try to see things from your child’s point of view and remember that you set the tone by how you cope with this situation. Getting angry rarely accomplishes anything besides making matters worse. By keeping your emotions in tap you give your child reassurance of your ability to handle the problem at hand and move on. You are the role model for your children - how you interact with them is how they will interact with their children when the time comes. Try to be calm and teach your children valuable life lessons that they will be proud to pass on to the next generation.

Shelly Rachanow: What are some simple things parents can do everyday to express more love to their kids?

Sheila Aron: I show only a few events that could take place in a child’s life - there are so many more. Make everyday a day to celebrate your child by reminding him how much he is loved, how important he is to your life and how proud you are to have him in your life. Especially during emotional moments when he or you might be feeling unappreciated take this opportunity to say “I love you.” Teaching your child loving life lessons includes the unhappy times as well as the happy. Turn an unpleasant moment into a pleasant one by simply saying “I love you.”

Shelly Rachanow: And last, the 'If Women Ran the World Blog' question for everyone - What would you do if you ran the world?

Sheila Aron: If I ran the world I would make sure that every child enjoyed a childhood free of abuse of any kind. All children deserve a childhood filled with love, acceptance, compassion and respect. To take this one step further I have started a nonprofit, to go hand in hand with the message in my book, called The Thread Alliance. The mission is to weave the thread of love and end the cycle of child abuse by bringing it to the forefront and hopefully preventing it before it begins.

For more information, visit http://www.sheilaaronbooks.com/.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelly: What a lovely interview from your amazing guest author. Imagine a parenting book disguised as a children's book. We need more books like these and more woman author like Shelia and just maybe the world and our children would openly communicate more and more.

    I know I didn't when I was growing up and was terrified of saying anything top my parents. Luckily, nothing bad happened to me, (kidnapped, drug abuse, etc.) My parents were loving and caring people.

    That's why even now, I am taking care of my elderly father, he's 90 years young. Had hip replacement suirgery, and because of the operation and his age, has a slight dementia, so he can only walk with a rolling walker, can't dress himself, or prepare a meal for himself, etc.

    It's always great hearing from you Shelly, I remember that first email I received from you about your new books when I was writing you to tell you we picked your book in our Code Pink Feminist Book Club. I was so excited you wrote me back on the same day we were to discuss the book. Thanks for the autographed copies. When is your next book coming out? Or did I miss it? I have been off and on the Internet since my dad had his operation.

    Love Always,

    Mc Huggs:)
    George :)

    ReplyDelete